The Town Community of Lea Ibarra - Munitibar - Aulesti - Gizaburuaga - Amoroto - Mendexa

Neighborhood Munitibar

Munitibar - Places of Historical and Cultural Interest

San Bizente´s parish in Arbatzegi

San Bizente´s parish in Arbatzegi

San Migel's chapel is believed to have been the first parish, and that in 1550 the brotherhoods of Aldaka, Berreño and Totorika decided to move it to Munitibar because that was the centre of worship.

The inhabitants of Arbatzegi, Gerrika and Uriona did not agree, but Martin of Arteaga, the church master, managed to move the parish to the church which was being built in the plot of land that he bought to Pedro Zubikona or Olajauna. When the moment arrived to take the figures and clothes of the chapel to the new parish, there were many fights and arguments in the Sagastiluze area of Bengolea.

This church is 100 feet long and 39 feet wide. It has three altars. 52 graves were dug inside it, plus a special grave for the master. The bell tower dates from 1725.

On April the 25th 1937, at 2 p.m., a war plane dropped bombs in the junction nearby. As the parish is located there, it was hit by them. One of the bombs fell on the roof, breaking the main beam and exploding inside the building. The parishioners provisionally restored most of it. When the nationals entered the area, a mortar bomb aimed at them struck the southern wall, destroying the altar on that side, and another one struck the portico.

The parish of Andra Mari in Gerrikaitz

The parish of Andra Mari in Gerrikaitz

Gerrikaitz was given the right or order to build a parish when it was founded. Labayru mentions the year 1402.

As decided by the bishop of Kalahorra in January 1459, the parish had three priests.

The local master Arteaga and his parishioners determined that it was necessary to build a new parish.

The people of Arbatzegi disagreed, but the parish was built. The previous one was restored and opened again in 1847.

The Uriona neighbourhood

The Uriona neighbourhood

This group of farmhouses was built in the XVIth century, and most of them preserve the style of that period.

They all have strong columns.

The Totorika neighbourhood

The houses in this area are indicators of the development of farms in the neighbourhood.

Most of them have different styles and structures.

San Juan´s chapel in Totorika is also significant.

It has a trapezoidal grave with a decoration in the shape of a cross, dating from the Ist century.

Santa Luzia´s chapel in Gerrika

Santa Luzia´s chapel in Gerrika

It is the chapel with the longest history. Iturriza the historian mentions that it might be older than the church of Ziortza.

The chapel is situated in Gontzogarai, and we can get there by turning right at the highest point of the road from Bolibar to Arbatzegi and going to the Gerrika neighbourhood; it is about one and a half kilometres from the road. It is 12,50 meters long and 12,15 meters wide.

It has a single bell. It was restored in 1960. Until then it had fired clay flagstones, and they were replaced with terrazzo.

It has a beautiful three-span Mozarabic window.

It is surrounded by an equally beatiful landscape.

San Kristobal´s in Oiz

San Kristobal´s in Oiz

It is 791 meters above the sea level. It measures 12,90 x 7,30 meters and has a gable roof. It has an iron fence to divide the altar and the rest of the elements. On the north side there is a fountain which gives plenty of water. The chapel is subject to the parish of Andra Mari in Gerrikaitz. It was restored in 1978.

It was a site of conflict; in 1654 there was a distribution of property, and another one in 1708, but this did not stop the quarrels. There have been conflicts later as well.

San Kristobal is often believed to ease earaches, and here too there used to be a mass on San Kristobal's day; people used to come here from Ibarruri, praying letanies on their way.

San Migel´s chapel

San Migel´s chapel

It is in the San Migel neighbourhood. It measures 8,95 x 7,10 meters. The local feast is on September the 29th, and is celebrated on the following Sunday.

On that day people have lunch there, and there is also a festival. It is not certain whether it was a parish, but many parish celebrations were held in it.

It once had graves inside. According to Iturritza, it was a parish until 1554.

Salbatore´s chapel

Salbatore´s chapel

It is in Berreño. We will find it turning right on km. 44 of the road to Gernika.

It measures 8,80 x 6,30 m. It has a gable roof, and no bell tower. It has a small bell inside, hanging in a corner. It is a very old chapel.

There is a quarry nearby, but it is not in use.The chapel is on a side of Kanpona hill, 215 meters above the sea level.

San Lorentzo's chapel

San Lorentzo's chapel

It is surrounded by pine trees, and stands 220 meters above the sea level.

It belongs to the parish of Andra Mari in Gerrikaitz. Antorena house owns it.

It is a small chapel, measuring 5,50 x 4,45 meters. It is the smallest chapel in Arbatzegi-Gerrikaitz.

San Juan´s chapel

It stands on a hilltop in the Totorika neighbourhood, a kilometer and a half away from the town centre.

It was restored in 1966. It is customary to bless flowers, corn, apples and other fruits in the chapel.

On the eve of San Juan´s day, the locals make a bonfire next to the chapel, in a place called Ermitondo. It is 379 meters above the sea level.

The chapel of the Santiago Apostle

The chapel of the Santiago Apostle

It is in the Aldaka neighbourhood. To get there we must turn right on km. 44 of the road from Arbatzegi to Gerrikaitz; it is two kilometres away.

Pilgrims used to rest there on their way to Santiago.

Santa Eufemi´s chapel

Santa Eufemi´s chapel

As in Aulesti, Santa Eufemi is worshipped here. It is situated in the border between Arbatzegi and Albiz-Mendata, and surrounded by pines. To get there we must turn left on the 41st kilometer of the road to Gernika, and take the road just before the bridge.

It is a small chapel, measuring 8,64 x 6,40 meters. At the main entrance, close to the wall, there is an ancient stone altar, and a group of big stone graves surrounding it. Santa Eufemi is said to ease backache. When the weather is very windy, farmers also ask her for protection. /p>

They also believe that she is the guardian of fruits and nuts such as walnuts, chestnuts and apples. According to popular belief, this area was once a gathering place for witches, but they all disappeared when the chapel was built.

Today it belongs to Gola farm.

Elortza Mill

Elortza Mill

It was the only mill in the period when Gerrikaitz was a city.

Olatxu or Olaetxea Mill

In 1745 it had a forge and a mill.

Using cookies:
In Leaibarra.com we use own and third party cookies to improve your browsing experience. If you continue browsing, we consider you accept our cookies policy.
The Town Community of Lea Ibarra, Elexalde 1 - 48289 GIZABURUAGA - Tel:946842982 - Email: leaibarra@bizkaia.org - Web-Map - Accesibility - Legal-Notice - Cookies